Friday, January 21, 2011

Issey Miyake A/W 2011

I got the opportunity to attend my first Homme Fashion week in Paris, France, which, as you can see, that my title is labeled for Issey Miyake. It was an unbelievable, yet such a wonderful experience for myself as well as all of my other classmates. The best part of all, was seeing the talented Issey Miyake, man himself. No, I didn't get to talk with him personally and introduce myself or what not, but that does not matter at all to me one bit. I got to see him personally, and that was really the best feeling and first highlight of my day! Never did I thought to myself that I would see him ,but I did. I feel super lucky.
 The theme of his show was called "Pen":
Pen
What are your thoughts?....quick! Take our your pen and write them down.
The Simple act of taking out a favorite pen from your breast pocket or bag and writing down your thoughts and ideas will never be lost, even in our age of mobile electronic communication. A pen can influence the shape and placement of a pocket, the fabric and the gesture itself. 
The Relationship existing between clothes, people, and their favorite pens is an intimate one.
Issey Miyake Autumn Winter 2011 Collection is one that draws. 

Beautiful as it sounds, and beautifully written? Don't you agree?
-
When I first got there, the first thing I did was people and trend watch. It's interesting,yet fun, to observe the fashion of what people are wearing. I noticed a lot of ankle boots, dark and bold colours. His male models were outside for a bit smoking and I noticed that the majority of them were wearing leather jackets. A lot of fashion students and bloggers who were there wore chunky scarves, hats, shades, and carried handbags as a  fashion supplement. 
Whether it's from their entire wardrobe and style to their extra supplements, each individual stood out and made a fashion statement of who they are and the style they swag. 

 All images courtesy of: Caleb Shackleford

I had no idea that I was going to be able to go inside and see the show; therefore, I didn't plan on dressing up or at least look nice. 
I was dressed in my green sweats, maroon v-neck T. Supplemented my chunky scarf to keep me warm and topped it off with my leather fringe moto jacket. 
From my opinion, I thought I looked pretty damn scrubby. But apparently, when I got there, and at the end of the day, I was asked to be photographed by a fashion student and a fashion blogger. Yes, I was smitten, but at the same time, I thought to myself  "Why? What's so good about me? I'm dressed in sweats and you want to take a photograph of me?!" Of course, I couldn't say no. Who would!?  ;-)
I guess from my perspective, those who don't "shine" as much, and those who do dress up, but, look wealthy or extravagant in some unique way, are those who stand out the most. I'm not saying that I stood out from the crowd; my intention was neither. I went as ME. The style that I love; urban & street. And after the show I was reward for dressing and simply just being ME. I didn't have to try, and I believe that's what matters to a lot of people. When you're YOU, you shine & they see that. 
Image courtesy of: Troy Shaw 
-
This is me and what I wore to Issey Miyake's fashion show.
Leather fringe moto jacket: H&M - Chunky cowl scarf: Gap - Maroon Vneck T: F21 -
Green sweats: H&M - Military ankle boots: H&M


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. It makes me smile :)